Monday, October 8, 2007

There and Back again...

The saying "time flies when you're having fun" can only be true when the "fun" you're having is superficial. In my experience, and the last holiday in Cape Town is a case in point, when you have meaningful "fun" then a week feels like a life time, every second an eternity and memories pile up to the sky.

We travelled aprox 3910km in 10 days, saw 63 Towns and experienced the breath taking awesome beauty of the Karoo, Cape Winelands, the West Coast, Darlings Flowers, Cape Point, Table Mountain etc etc. Most importantly we saw family and friends along the way and reconnected and made more memories for the family annuls. To record it all there are 810 photo's to sort through - phew!

This year our family has been fortunate to have travelled the length of South Africa, from the Limpopo to Cape Point and it has been a truly memorable experience. Thanks to our Lord who kept us safe and who created it all for us to enjoy!

I am back at work today and while I would rather still be on holiday, I am ready to pick up the reins and charge forward. As I started this morning, looking at the endless electronic blur of e-mail and piles of work on my desk, I was rudely confronted by a test of faith! Recently I was offered a "prestigious" position in another part of the company. I place prestigious in inverted commas because what some people consider to prestige is not necessary so... Anyway, the offer was made but no incentive other than the "prestige" was given. As a result I was not impressed by the offer and turned it down. A colleague of mine was then offered then same position and she has accepted it.

The little test I got this morning was hearing that she had been offered additional incentives to take the position. Incentives I asked for but never got... So immediately I cry "FOUL!" "UNFAIR!" and then a small still voice says "Is My hand too short to save you? what is it to you if I give the worker who started in the afternoon the same wage as the worker who has been there since day break? is it not My vineyard?"

And so I repent and accept. To have Faith in what God has in mind for me, Believing that I am tied to Him and that He is my Jehovah Jira, this is what I choose.

There and Back again – is Bilbo Baggins' title of the book he starts to write in story "The Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkien. That sums up our holiday and a test of faith, we went There(Cape Town) and Back(Home) again, and I went There(a test on what I believe about God) and Back(a choice not to react wrongly)again!

2 comments:

Skitter said...

There it is, in black-and-white, your 'Job'- cry.Somewhere in Job it is written : 'If only someone would engrave my words, my struggle, on rock to last for all eternity' And that is exactly what happened - we have the acount of Job's struggles in the Bible.And if you look at Job's end, maybe it's the place in this severe testing of your faith,at which to 'Count it all joy' against all odds.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

Blog Archive

Contributors